At Stitch Fix, we're about personal styling for everybody and we believe in both a service and a workplace where you can be your best, most authentic self. We're the first fashion retailer to combine technology and data science with the human instinct of a Stylist to deliver a deeply personalized shopping experience. This novel juxtaposition attracts a highly diverse group of talented people who are both thinkers and doers. All of this results in a simple, powerful offering to our customers and a successful, growing business serving millions of men, women, and kids. Join us!
Back to Job Listings
At Stitch Fix, we’re about personal styling for everybody and we believe in both a service and a workplace where you can be your best, most authentic self. We’re the first fashion retailer to combine technology and data science with the human instinct of a Stylist to deliver a deeply personalized shopping experience. This novel juxtaposition attracts a highly diverse group of talented people who are both thinkers and doers. All of this results in a simple, powerful offering to our customers and a successful, growing business serving millions of men, women, and kids. We believe we are only scratching the surface on our opportunity, and we’re looking for incredible people like you to help us carry on that trend. We have many openings, so we look forward to your application!
The Algorithms Platform (a.k.a. Data Platform) team builds the tools that makes deep integration of data science into all areas of our business possible. We are responsible for designing the technical systems that shape and guide how data scientists impact our strategy, operations, and decision making. Because data scientists at Stitch Fix are encouraged (and expected!) to rapidly explore ideas and hypotheses, they need an environment in which they can easily iterate cycles of design, create, and test. They should be confident in building, deploying, and supporting algorithms in live production systems independently.
To make this happen, Algorithms Platform has to anticipate data scientists’ needs before the scientists know they have them. We have to have a 360-degree view of how data science is done at Stitch Fix (and its relationship to the overall business) and figure out how to make it better. We use this perspective to frame, design, and build reliable systems that are powerful, easy to use, and constantly improving. We are our own product and project managers, both creating a vision of what should be built and turning that vision into reality. As our business grows and changes, some of the time we have to rethink the capabilities and interfaces that data scientists currently use and “re-platform” to better tools and infrastructure.
If this sounds exciting to you, then let us know! We are looking for powerful engineers who are excited to engage in difficult challenges and can ship products. In particular, we are looking for folks who:
- Are willing to challenge the status quo to propose new and better ways of doing things, and have the rigor to show us why.
- Have an open mind and discerning attitude to figure out what is really needed rather than simply build that which is asked for.
- Jump in to solve a problem even when conditions are not optimal.
- Can look holistically at systems and architectures to decide what to improve, replace, and remove.
- Are interested in learning how to make our business better by designing, coding, communicating, and educating to make that happen.
- Are motivated to learn new tools and systems, especially when they are better than the old ones.
- Can deliver early and often because they know that iterating on the “good” is far better than waiting a long time for the “perfect”.
- Want to work cooperatively in a team and in collaboration with business partners.
- Appreciate a working environment with high ethical standards and a culture of kindness.
ABOUT THE TEAM
At Stitch Fix, our data science team leverages machines together with expert-human judgment to generate innovative recommendations and insights that innovate the way the company functions and helps our clients look and be their best selves. As a member of the analytics engineering team, you’ll be enabling our data scientists by contributing toward a clear, concise data model as well as enabling our business partners with well-formed solutions to enable accurate decision-making in a scalable way.
ABOUT THE ROLE
- You’ll help us to define, build and maintain a clear, concise data model
- You’ll work with Spark to create, optimize and maintain efficient and reliable ETL jobs
- You’ll contribute to documenting the right source and definition for our metrics
- You’ll dig into the questions being asked by our business partners to understand the problem and help form the right metrics to solve it
- You’ll work with business partners to understand business problems and help to devise scalable solutions to meet their needs
WE’RE EXCITED ABOUT YOU BECAUSE…
- You have a strong experience in building out scalable BI capabilities and data models.
- You have the ability to take ambiguous data questions, translate into a clear analytical plan, and produce concise summary output that includes recommendations based upon core findings.
- You have 5 or more years of project experience with significant contributions.
- You have exceptional coding and design skills, particularly in Python and SQL.
- You work autonomously and take ownership of projects.
- You are naturally curious and get excited to dig in and understand how things work.
- You have the ability to identify what’s important, and what’s not.
- You are experienced in product/web/mobile analytics data infrastructure.
- You are highly skilled in data visualization (big plus).
- You are familiar with using Spark and Presto to access an S3 data warehouse (big plus).
The experimentation platform team is a small, nimble group of hybrid data science / data platform / software engineers that are focused on enabling data-driven decision making throughout the company. We run the entire experimentation stack at Stitch Fix - from backend services to metrics pipelines, dashboards, and internal notification systems. We also act as an informal sounding board for proposed experiments and new experimental designs. While our main workhorse is A/B tests, we also support other testing policies such as multi-armed bandits and geo-randomized marketing campaigns. As a team, we are driven by the thrill of helping our colleagues make better decisions faster and with less friction, which directly increases the velocity of the business.
- IC position on the experimentation platform team, which is part of our algorithm-development platform team within our Algorithms organization.
- We product manage, build, and run the platform - we don’t run or analyze experiments ourselves.
- There are many aspects of the platform to which you can contribute: engineering of the core golang services, JS/React frontend UIs, spark data pipelines, bandit engine, a self-service metric metadata repository, statistical computation framework, and much more!
WE GET EXCITED ABOUT CANDIDATES WHO HAVE...
- 3+ years relevant experience with significant contributions.
- excellent coding and design skills in Python, Golang, and Scala (spark).
- experience designing, developing, & deploying services.
- experience designing, developing, & maintaining your own data flows.
- experience with different flavors of SQL & modeling relational tables.
- great communication skills.
- a love for working autonomously and taking ownership of projects.
- natural curiosity and get excited to dig in and understand how things work.
- experimentation experience a plus!
ABOUT THE TEAM & ROLE
The Scientific Working Environment team is responsible for curating, designing, building, and supporting the day-to-day operating environment for our data scientists. We figure out what is needed and then carefully create tools and services and the best practices for using them. We believe that everything a scientist uses should be expertly crafted, with each feature having a deliberate purpose. This role is for an engineer who is excited about understanding scientists' needs and can translate these needs into a vision of what should be built. This engineer should enjoy being "full stack" in the sense that they own a product from beginning to end by designing, constructing, integrating, testing, documenting, and supporting their creations.
We are currently starting the design of a “next generation” working environment, in which we are re-thinking and “re-platforming” most of our tools and services. We are looking for folks to help us form the vision and build this new world.
YOU'RE EXCITED ABOUT THIS OPPORTUNITY BECAUSE…
- you will envision, design, build, and support services and tools for data scientists where "self service" is the goal.
- you enjoy building systems using a mix of Python and Go in an AWS-heavy environment.
- you will learn our scientific working environment holistically in order to design better tools.
- you take pride in communicating, documenting, supporting, and otherwise understanding scientists when needs arise and the world changes.
- you have a "bias to action" and are not easily blocked by problems and difficulties. You naturally take ownership of projects and efforts.
- you have a diversity of software development experience rather than a single tool suite or paradigm. Experience and experience working in a data science environment is a plus.
- you have the ability to understand requirements in context to design solutions, rather than take them at face value.
- you are a good communicator and you enjoy working in a collaborative environment.
- you have experience working with AWS resources (familiarity with ECS and Docker is a plus)
Consist of data scientists of various backgrounds, the Acquisition Algorithms team leverage causal inference and statistical modeling to help Stitch Fix achieve its ambitious growth goals. Our team develop, measure, and deploy scientific methods for optimally spending marketing dollars with third-party networks to facilitate sustainable growth. We identify best ways to communicate with prospecting customers and guide the spending of millions of marketing dollars, which influence top-line company performances. Cross-functional partnership is deeply meaningful to us and is how we’ve built up immense trust with people on Growth Marketing, Finance, and may others.
This role will model the incremental impact of marketing activity, and build out marketing spend optimization and scenario planning capability. Partnering with the Growth Marketing team, you will help advance the marketing measurement strategies across all of our online and offline marketing channels.
YOU’RE EXCITED ABOUT THIS OPPORTUNITY BECAUSE YOU WILL…
- Have autonomy and impact in your work thanks to our bottoms-up culture and a Chief Algorithm Officer reporting directly to the CEO
- Influence and create alignment with business partners to advance our ability to grow the company in a sustainable manner
- Develop causal inference methodologies like marketing mix modeling, multi-touch attribution, instrumental variables to measure marketing initiatives
- Implement end-to-end algorithmic solutions to inform marketing decisions in the range of millions of dollars
- Contribute ideas and direct the team’s investment to impactful directions
- Lead and mentor junior data scientist(s) on complex initiatives that require collaborations across multiple teams and functions.
- You have 3+ years of work experience in a data science role, preferably in AdTech
- You have a Ph.D. or Masters degree in Statistics, Biostatistics, Marketing, Econometrics, Psychology, Quantitative Finance
- You have strong cross functional communication skills that help simplify and move complex problems forward with business partners
- You have experience writing code (Python or R) in collaborative environments
- You have production data science experience, i.e. not just fitting a model but being held accountable for rigorous and reliability in production
At Stitch Fix, our data science team combines artificial intelligence together with expert-human judgment to generate innovative recommendations and insights that help our clients look and feel their best. The client relationship team focuses on building algorithm-driven product features with the goal of deepening the relationship between clients and Stitch Fix. Examples of some of the projects we work on include enhancing the way clients communicate with stylist about their needs and inspirations, flexing our service to match clients’ changing circumstances, and enabling clients to discover similar and complementary items they’ll love.
This role will focus on developing contextual algorithms to make optimal recommendations in a consumer-facing context. In partnership with Engineering, UX, and Product, you'll have the opportunity to innovate on ways to service our clients.
YOU'RE EXCITED ABOUT THIS OPPORTUNITY BECAUSE YOU WILL…
- Prototype and deploy innovative algorithms that deal with various kinds of data (e.g. text, image, structured data).
- Influence the development of algorithm-driven, client-facing products in collaboration with cross-functional partners .
- Demonstrate value through launching experiments that show a causal impact of your ideas.
- Communicate concepts and results to both a technical and non-technical audience.
- You have 3+ years of experience in a data science role developing models.
- You possess practical python experience building and deploying to production machine learning models.
- You have experience working and iterating with product and engineering teams to see a project through from ambiguous beginnings to impactful end state.
- You possess the ability to influence decisions through effective communication and data visualization.
- You are able to prioritize approaches that are scientifically rigorous and deliver business value.
- You are curious, innovative & motivated by challenge.
Join the most empowered data science team around! With a bottoms-up culture and our amazing leadership, you’ll be surprised how much voice and influence your work impacts our business. Our team in particular makes sure that the company has the right amount of inventory at the right time. To do this, we forecast future inventory state for each one of our warehouses, and quantify how healthy that inventory is to serve our entire, very diverse clientbase. We continuously collaborate with the business partners across the Women's, Men's and Kids' clothing teams as well as with the Algorithm Team for wider and deeper impact. Ultimately, we inform, drive and automate inventory decisions to enable an even more personalized styling experience for our customers.
This role will be responsible for the Stitch Fix algorithmic allocation efforts, which helps the company send the right amount of inventory to each warehouse. In this role, you will create, improve, and run allocation strategies that maintain a healthy inventory across Stitch Fix warehouses in collaboration with business partners. This role has more software engineering than other data scientist positions on the team and is also closely tied to inventory forecasting efforts.
- Have autonomy and impact in your work thanks to our bottoms-up culture and a Chief Algorithm Officer reporting directly to the CEO
- Create and test new allocation strategies to maintain healthy inventory across Stitch Fix warehouses
- Communicate and collaborate with business partners in order to run allocation strategies across all departments of the company
- Maintain fast runtimes for the inventory forecasting and allocation code to promote interactive use cases
- Maintain and improve the reliability of the inventory forecasting and allocation code through standard software engineering practices
- Cross-functionally add new features to improve the prediction accuracy of the inventory forecasting code
- Create and implement service level agreements with the broader inventory optimization team in order to best fulfill business objectives
- Continue to grow your skill set through our great company wide development programs in communication and culture, as well as technical programs within the algorithms team
- You have a Master's in Statistics/Biostatistics/Math/Physics/Chemistry/Computer Science
- You have at least 2-4 years of experience, with 1 year of software engineering experience, 1 year relevant to cross-functional team communication, and 1 year applying statistics and machine learning in production
- You have a bias toward action
- You have strong cross functional communication skills that help simplify and move complex problems forward with business partners
- You have strong standards for software engineering practices such as implementing automated unit tests, are familiar with Computer Science algorithm fundamentals like runtime complexity, and have 1 year of software engineering experience
- You have a solid background in statistics: 2-3 stats courses and 1 year of relevant professional experience
- You’re proficient in machine learning: 2 courses and 1 year of relevant professional experience
- You have production data science experience, i.e. not just fitting a model but being held accountable for performance and reliability in production
At Stitch Fix, our data science team combines machine learning with expert-human judgment to generate recommendations and insights that help our clients look and feel their best.
As a member of a nimble, collaborative team, you'll build tools and algorithms that shape the future of personalized merchandising. You’ll tackle questions like: Should Stitch Fix carry this shirt next season? If we carry this collection of shirts, will we be increasing our risk exposure or hedging our bets? What’s the next opportunity for data to impact how we build merch assortments? This is a mid/senior "full-stack data scientist" role where you can grow as a researcher, engineer, and leader. You'll have the opportunity to bring your ideas to life, by building on a foundation of strong business support, clear vision, engaged internal users, and bright, kind teammates.
- Co-lead the development of algorithmic innovations to optimize our merchandise portfolio.
- Identify, estimate, and help choose among trade-offs between business objectives, such as revenue, vendor constraints, and client satisfaction.
- Work on projects at every stage from idea to model to production to business-critical.
- Partner across the business to influence decisions and make an impact on our company growth and our client experience.
- Contribute to a culture of technical collaboration and scalable development.
- Use Python, Spark, Presto, Gurobi, Airflow, Git, CircleCI, and more.
- Your professional experience is deep in OR, and diverse across data science, ML, engineering, consulting, and/or product management.
- You are generous with your ideas and experience, and eager to seek the ideas and experience of others.
- You use best practices when contributing to production systems, and iterate quickly when prototyping.
- You are motivated by the challenge of using algorithms to improve and reframe how experts do their work.
- You believe that things are rarely black and white; there are multiple good paths to follow, and multiple valuable perspectives to consider.
- You have a relevant PhD or Masters degree, and 3+ years of industry experience.
At Stitch Fix, our mission is to define the future of retail by combining machine algorithms with human expertise. We work on unique problems at the intersection of tech, retail, and logistics. Solving our problems often requires pushing the boundaries of data science and defining the next stage of the field. This is where you come in: We want you to combine our unparalleled data resources with innovative algorithms to help our clients find things they love.
In this role you will use Operations Research and Data Science methods and tools to optimize operations at Stitch Fix. You will build algorithmic solutions to solve business problems around demand and capacity planning, personalized allocation, logistics and warehouse operations - all with the goal to support client satisfaction and company growth.
- Perform analyses and build frameworks / solutions to deliver insights for operational decisions.
- Co-lead the design of cross-functional business process that take advantage of what humans and algorithms, respectively, do best.
- Maintain and improve algorithmic capabilities in areas such as capacity planning, allocation and warehouse operations.
- Define, build, and deploy algorithmic capabilities that span multiple functions within the business.
- Identify and estimate trade-offs between business objectives, such as efficiency, cost, and customer satisfaction.
- You have a Ph.D. or Masters degree, and 3+ years of experience supporting operational roles (demand planning, supply planning, capacity management, operations).
- You have experience writing code (Python preferred) in production environments where you have learned industry practices such as unit testing and code reviews.
- You are able to quickly and iteratively prototype analyses and algorithms.
- You understand business processes, and have experience working with people with different backgrounds, priorities, and responsibilities.
- You can explain complex concepts well and move discussions forward in partnership with your business partners.
- You are inquisitive and you scrutinize functional efforts through the lens of making the client experience and the business better.
At Stitch Fix, our data science team combines artificial intelligence together with expert-human judgment to generate innovative recommendations and insights that help our clients look and feel their best. The Styling Algorithms team is core to our service - we develop capabilities that allow stylists to help our clients find what they love while building meaningful relationships with them. We have a wide latitude to implement state of the art algorithms, contribute to styling product development, and define the future of styling workforce.
This role will be focused on developing contextual algorithms and products that are powering how we style our clients. Together with the engineering, UX and styling teams you will drive evolution of our styling process by developing the tools that augment stylists day-to-day tasks. You will have an opportunity to influence the future of combining artificial and human intelligence by developing novel machine learning models that cover NLP, contextual algorithms, and many more to assist stylists in helping clients find what they love.
- Develop and implement novel algorithms dealing with various types of data: event-based, text and images.
- Frame direction of a product and participate in creating new interactions between stylists and algorithms
- You are innovative and able to help define a problem and an approach through testing & iteration, even when working with ambiguity
- Communicate complicated concepts to the wider audience - both data scientists and broader business partners
- You have 3+ years of experience in a data science role developing Machine Learning models in production
- You have practical experience with Python, and building end-to-end solutions
- Experience with PyTorch is a plus
- You have experience participating in the product development process. For example, developing new features based on the algorithms you helped to develop
- You have examples of projects where you were able to drive impact
- You have experience using data visualization to communicate your findings to influence broader decisions
- You are innovative and able to help define a problem and an approach through testing & iteration, even when working with ambiguity.
At Stitch Fix, our data science team combines artificial intelligence with expert human judgment to generate innovative recommendations and insights that transform the way our clients discover what they love. The Styling Recommendations team focuses on the core challenge of delivering distinctive apparel to our diverse client base that reflects their personal style. Using a wide range of signals from clients, we develop models that provide our stylists with personalized recommendations for every client. Our team also helps develop infrastructure for predictive modeling that benefits the wider data science organization.
In this role you will be responsible for driving forward our core recommendation algorithms. You may work with a range of data sources including text, image, and time series data and will work with our team to evaluate new model types. You can expect to take ideas from initial prototypes to live production systems. You will also have opportunities to partner with Product, Engineering, and Styling teams to develop innovative new algorithm-driven products.
- improve the accuracy of our core styling prediction models, primarily through use of new data sources and improved modeling techniques.
- develop and maintain production ML systems so that our team's algorithms are used effectively in the styling process.
- bring more rigor to statistics/experimentation/measurement topics so that we make optimal decisions with the data we have.
- design and analyze experiments to measure causal impact while accounting for potential interactions (such as shared inventory).
- work cross-functionally to develop new algorithm-driven products that unlock new ways to deliver value to our clients.
- help the entire team level up by spreading best practices and learnings from prior experience with production ML systems.
- you are excited to carry a project completely from start to finish while expanding your technical skill set as necessary.
- you are able to identify new opportunities to improve algorithms and effectively prioritize among them.
- you thrive in a fluid environment of collaboration between algorithm & product teams.
- you have strong communication skills and audience awareness. You are able to succinctly convey relevant information to technical and non-technical colleagues, and understand the appropriate level of detail for a given audience.
- you have a well rounded skill set in statistics, machine learning, production software development, and consumer product thinking.
- you have 3+ years of experience in a data science/software engineering role developing production machine learning systems.
- you have an advanced degree in a quantitative field (e.g. CS, Statistics, Economics, Physics, Bioinformatics) or comparable work experience.
- you have hands on experience with a modern Python-based machine learning stack. (Familiarity with PyTorch or TensorFlow is a plus.)
- you are curious, innovative & motivated by challenge.
The Frontend / Data Visualization team is a small, nimble group of engineers that is focused on enabling our data scientists to communicate their insights to the rest of the organization. We have wide latitude to build and deploy whatever tools we deem appropriate to the situation, from custom React / D3 web applications, to dashboards written in Shiny, to ambient displays. We are driven by the thrill of helping our colleagues see their work in new ways.
We are looking for a Data Visualization Engineer to join our Frontend / Data Visualisation team! As a Visualization Engineer, you will be making sure that the analysis that comes out of our data looks amazing and meets best practices when it comes to data presentation. You will work with multiple data scientists on business problems across Stitch Fix’s business. We’re looking for someone who will love working on a team of crazy smart data scientists on compelling visualization challenges, and have long-term ownership of the work.
- Love grokking complex systems and mapping them to user’s mental models.
- Get a kick out of translating data science to the world.
- Relish smooth user experiences and delightful interactions.
- Seek understanding of every level of your work’s stack.
- Enjoy keeping up with the latest technologies and putting them to use.
- Appreciate both the task in front of the user and the platforms that enables that task.
- Love to teach teammates how to use components that you’ve built.
WE USE THESE TECHNOLOGIES
- React, Redux, and GraphQL for web application development
- D3 for bespoke data visualization
- Git for source control
- Python and R for data analysis
- Hive, Redis, Presto, and Spark for data access and querying
- You are also encouraged to explore and evaluate new technologies
In this role you’ll be a member of the Scalable Infrastructure team which is part of the Algorithms Platform. This team provides frameworks and services to access and operate on our data, including Spark, Presto, and custom tools. This team also handles initial data ingestion: our data initially comes from our Kafka logging pipeline along with regular snapshots of transactional databases. Our ETL framework along with tools to track and monitor jobs helps to increase reliability while making it easier for data scientists to obtain and manipulate data.
In this role you’ll be contributing heavily to our Spark infrastructure, creating and improving services to make it easier for the team to submit and monitor jobs and providing established patterns for data scientists to create their jobs. Occasionally you’ll help a team member design or debug a more complex Spark job or perhaps a pipeline of multiple jobs. The interesting thing you’ll find about our department is the diversity of applications we support, the varied sizes of our jobs, and the different ways that we use Spark. This role will be exciting for you if you enjoy building and monitoring infrastructure along with digging into complex tools and making them easier for others to use.
- You’ll help us improve our Spark, Presto, and custom service deployments to function well under load and in AWS. You’ll extend these services and create new ones to help make the experience better for our data scientists.
- We build our own versions of Spark along with custom libraries included in each Spark job, so you will contribute to our Spark/Presto customization efforts, builds, and deployments.
- You’ll help us utilize various file formats (e.g. Parquet), and help create readers and writers that function well on S3 and with our metadata services.
- You’ll build services to ingest data into our warehouse and ensure it’s clean and consistent.
- Many of the changes we need would also benefit others in the big data community. You’ll have the opportunity to contribute back.
- 5+ years of software development experience with significant contributions.
- Exceptional coding and design skills, particularly in Java/Scala.
- Strong distributed systems background, and have worked with Spark and other tools in the Hadoop ecosystem.
- Ability to work autonomously and take ownership of projects.
- Understanding of how big data infrastructure works in the public cloud.
- Natural curiosity and tendency to get excited to dig in and understand how things work.